Everyone must be aware of the term depression but they won’t be familiar that it could also occur due to the change of seasons which is called seasonal affective disorder. It is also an older term for a major depressive disorder(MDD). It is actually a psychological condition which could lead to depression. It is normally triggered by season change. Usually, people experience it in winters. Usually, women and adolescents are vulnerable to this condition.
There are 5 things that you won’t be aware of this disorder. They are:
1. What might be the causes? The exact cause is still unknown. Their contributing factors can vary from person to person. Some risk factors that are associated with this disorder are:
- Family History: With the family history of other types of depression also can cause people develop a seasonal affective disorder.
- Depression: If you are already the patient of depression, the symptoms may get worse with the season.
- Sometimes, due to the overproduction of the hormone melatonin which is responsible for affecting mood and also regulating sleep.
2. What symptoms could persist with the condition? Since the seasonal affective disorder occurs differently, its signs also vary. Generally, there are two types of SAD: wintertime and summertime.
Symptoms of wintertime SAD include:
- Feeling of hopelessness
- Lack of social engagement
- Trouble Sleeping
- Poor Appetite
- Weight Loss
- Feeling of guilt and despair
3. Does it get diagnosed? The symptoms can lead to other serious health conditions also like bipolar disorder or hypothyroidism. In that case, a doctor may recommend various tests like thyroid hormone testing with a blood test.
4. What are the treatments available? There are various treatments available for the seasonal affective disorder. Therapy is one of them. Light therapy is a kind where a specialized light box is used for at least 30 minutes to replicate natural light. It should only be done under the supervision of the specialist. There is another option of dawn simulator that uses a timer-activated light to mimic the sunrise which will be helpful to stimulate the body’s clock.
There are also some medications available which are used in reducing the negative effects of the condition. Antidepressants are usually prescribed by the doctors.You can buy them from an online pharmacy.
5. How can it be prevented? You can combat seasonal affective disorder by taking some preventions:
- Breathe in some fresh air
- Do regular exercises
- Eat Carbs
- In case of severity, go for antidepressants
- Under supervision, take light therapy
These are the 5 things that many are not aware of. So, read it and share it with your friends and family to create awareness. Stay Fit Stay Healthy.