An illness caused by eating food that contains harmful organisms is termed as food poisoning. These organisms may be bacteria, virus or parasites. They are commonly found in raw meat, eggs, fish or other food items. These organisms can grow in food materials that are left out on counter or outdoors. So, make sure that whatever you are having has not exhausted its expiry date. Sometimes, it could also happen when you do not wash your hands before or after eating food. Most of the time, it is mild and goes away after a few days but when it becomes serious, it is necessary to go see your doctor.
What are the symptoms?
Some symptoms that are associated with food poisoning are:
- High fever
- Bloody stool
How your food get influenced?
There are 5 ways through which food poisoning can ruin your daily activities:
1. When food is washed: If you are using water for washing veggies or plates and that water is contaminated with germs from animal manure or human sewage in it, then it could get on fruits and veggies and harm us.
2. When meat is processed: It is normal to find bacteria inside the body of healthy animals that we eat like fishes, chicken, meat etc. Sometimes, those bacteria get mixed up with those parts of the animals that we eat, which results in something unhealthy.
3. When you prepare food: If you are preparing food and you have germs in your hands, then the food is more vulnerable to infections. If you are using the same knife for chopping veggies as well as cutting meat, it is bound to cause infections.
4. There are chances that food is kept in a contaminated facility.
5. Pesticides could get to your food. Some fruits like watermelons, guava etc are picked after taking necessary measures in order to avoid germs.
How to know that you are suffering from food poisoning?
Sometimes when food poisoning is mild, it goes away by itself. Therefore, most people don’t go to the doctor. When the condition persists for a long time, run to your doctor immediately. If you are diagnosed with this condition, you are required to note down all the symptoms that you are suffering from, so you can tell your physician. If he prescribes you medication, you can buy it from an online pharmacy.
How can it be treated?
In most of the times, food poisoning goes away in 3-4 days. You only need to take rest and stay away from the dehydration. You can drink a cup of water every half an hour to prevent any kind of symptoms like diarrhoea, loose stool or other signs. You can also take some medicines that can stop diarrhoea.
What could be the preventions?
There are some necessary preventions that you could take in order to avoid any kind of food poisoning:
- Keep yourself clean: If you want to avoid germs in your body, it is recommended to wash your hands before cooking and eating food. Wash your knives, cutting boards and put them in the clean dishwasher to use a disinfectant.
- Chill: Always store your leftovers in the refrigerator. Don’t leave them at room temperature.
- When in doubt, throw them: If you are not sure whether food is safe, do not eat it. It could harm your body.
This is all about the ways by which food poisoning can ruin your day. Share it with your friends and family to stay fit and healthy.