7 Unknown Benefits Of Fennel Seeds During Pregnancy
As you see from the topic, here we will discuss the aromatic and flavourful herb - fennel seeds. These seeds are famous for both its culinary and medicinal properties. They are primarily used as mouth fresheners and served after a meal. You might wonder if it acts well for pregnant women and if she can have it during pregnancy.
Well, these emotions are quite true and once you conceive, it becomes imperative for you to think about everything you do and consult your doctor. It may topple your mind to even drink liter water more than you are prescribed. Foods that were once great options to satiate your stomach, may no longer be that safe, because of the little one growing inside you.
Fennel Seeds And Pregnancy
The parsley family produces the fennel seeds which are great romantic herbs. They are armed with tender leaves and yellow flowers with a mild aroma. The fennel seeds are crispy and sweet flavored. However, overeating produces a bitter taste on the lower back of the tongue.
Extremely common in everyone's kitchen especially in India, the medicinal properties of fennel seeds help you get rid of various health issues. Fennel seeds act as a remedy for tooth pain, gum diseases and also acts as an excellent source of improving the smell of breath.
Pregnancy produces minor complications making a woman feel uncomfortable for the most part of the day. Simple home remedies can sure offer quick relief and release the uneasiness you might be experiencing during this period. One such home remedy includes using fennel seeds which is absolutely safe and effective to be consumed during pregnancy.
Facts And Benefits
- The brown or green aromatic seeds which may seem to be dull grey, however, have potent health benefits and are also known as a natural emmenagogue.
- Pregnant women who experience nausea and morning sickness can add a tablespoon of fennel seeds to warm water and have it as the first thing in the morning. During the first trimester, the morning sickness is felt mild, however, once the fourth month is complete, episodes of vomiting become as regular as eating and sleeping.
- Fennel seeds are known to relieve from bloating symptoms which majority of pregnant women suffer from
- Nutrient deficient women suffer from low appetite and fennel seeds can act well to increase hunger
- Indigestion symptoms in pregnant women during the gestation period is common. Fennel seeds along with cumin powder can help relieve it.
- Lactation and pregnancy disorders are very well countered with fennel seeds. Fennel seeds cause an anti flatulence effect, thereby relaxing the muscles of the digestive tract, and stimulating bile flow. This helps in preventing digestion cramps in the stomach.
- Heartburn during pregnancy and period, caused by gas pain and respiratory distress is also known to evade regular consumption of fennel seeds.
Side Effects And Risks
Although a natural aromatic herb, however, everything herbal is not always beneficial. It may cause certain side effects and therefore it is best to take the advice of a doctor before admission in them into your diet.
- Fennel seeds have the ability to release blood coagulation as such it may affect the ability of blood to coagulate. In such a case, if you are pregnant and you are suffering from a bleeding disorder, eating fennel may hinder blood clotting and make you susceptible to bruises and bleeding.
- Fennel seeds are full of anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and phytoestrogenic properties that stimulate the uterus. This can result in preterm labor or preeclampsia in certain women.
We can already see that the benefits outweigh the risks and moderate consumption does not make it unsafe to be had during pregnancy. Foods react differently in different human beings, is better to consult a doctor.
If your doctor allows you to have fennel seeds during pregnancy you can add it to cooked food, especially potato curries and chicken. Fennel seeds when added to hibiscus tea or turmeric tea can increase the aroma and make it delectable for you to consume it during your pregnancy days.
Other Benefits Of Fennel Seeds
- Treating stomach upset and bloating
- Helps in curing sore throats and coughs
- Acts as an aphrodisiac by increasing libido
- Supports weight loss by increasing metabolism and suppressing hunger
- Fennel nutrition can pass through breast milk and help the baby in curing digestive distress
- Fennel is known as a galactagogue. A galactagogue is a compound known to bring more breast milk.
- Mothers, who go through low breast milk production can consume fennel mixtures regularly to increase the supply of breast milk.
- You may wonder, what can be the active ingredient performing well in pregnant women. Well, the fennel plant is known to have estrogenic properties.
- Foeniculum vulgare herbs were previously used in treating sexual abnormalities in women.
- Chewing raw seeds made women perform better in sexual activities.
- Fennel seeds when had with other breastfeeding herbs such as alfalfa, fenugreek, blessed thistle, and stinging nettle ca at better than any lactation supplement.
- Avoid taking extra fennel in the form of herbal teas if you are pregnant, or you can make it the only source of fennel intake.
Apart from the herbal goodness that fennel seeds have, fennel seeds can also be crushed in a blender and mixed with other spices and added to curries. Consuming fennel seeds in a small amount will not cause much harm.
Fennel seeds are known to replenish skin, improve joint function. It is best if you could avoid it if you have sensitive skin or your pregnancy symptoms have resulted in developing sensitive skin since the onset.
Also if you are allergic to mugwort, celery, and carrot you are very much bent to have an allergic response to fennel as well. The uterine stimulation property of fennel seeds makes it difficult for women to control vaginal bleeding when had in excess quantities, which can ultimately lead to miscarriage.