Every person wants a flawless, acne as well as blemish-free skin. They make all the efforts for getting a glowing skin. One small acne and you start finding ways to prevent it from growing already. Acne makes your skin look tired and stressed.
Since acne is a commonly found problem in people, it is necessary to know all about it.
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when the hair follicles get clogged with oil as well as dead skin cells. It is an inflammatory condition of the skin that leads to spots or pimples especially on the face, neck, chest, back etc. Though acne is found in all the age groups, teenagers are more vulnerable to it. Every 3 in 4 people complaint of getting acne. It usually occurs in puberty, when the sebaceous glands activate. Though it is not fatal, it can leave acne scars. Their treatment depends on the severity of the condition. There are some risk factors that are involved with it like oil-based makeup, climate, anxiety, stress, irregular menstrual cycle, genes, unhealthy diet etc.
What are the types of acne?
There are different types of acne vulgaris that affect people:
1. Blackheads: They are clearly visible on the skin and appear as a black bump on the skin due to uninfected and clogged follicles.
2. Whiteheads: Covered by a thin layer of skin which appear as the white bump on the skin, whiteheads are clogged follicles.
3. Pustules: They are clearly visible, red on their base and have pus on the top.
4. Papules: They look like pink bumps on the surface of the skin.
5. Cysts: They are painful, filled with pus and often leads to scars.
6. Nobules: They are largely solid and painful pimples that are embedded deep into the skin.
What causes acne?
Since the human body is always exposed to dust particles and other foreign particles that could affect the skin. Human skin has pores that connect to oil glands which get connected to the follicles. Pimples grow when these follicles get clogged with oil building in the skin. Acne is the emergence of sebaceous glands that get inflamed in the skin. The medical name of acne is Acne Vulgaris. The cells of the skin, sebum which is a gland that produces oily liquid in the skin, and hair when cluster together forms a plug that gets infected with bacteria. After that, it results in a pimple. Its severity also depends on the strain of bacteria.
There are various factors that trigger bacteria:
1. Hormonal Changes
2. Too much of cosmetic products use
4. Emotional Stress
5. Lack of water intake
How to treat acne?
The treatment of acne relies on various factors. One of them is that how severe and persistent the acne is.
If a person has mild acne, that means he/she has the minor form of acne and it can be treated by following some over the counter medicines like gels, soaps, lotions etc. Topical medications like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid or azelaic acid etc work effectively for acne treatment.
Benzoyl Peroxide kills bacteria that cause bumps on the skin, slows down the production of sebum and accelerate the skin replacement.
Salicylic Acid breaks down the blackheads as well as whiteheads resulting in reduced inflammation and swelling.
Azelaic Acid makes the cell strong that lines the follicles in the skin, stops the eruption of sebum and reduce the growth of bacteria.
Some oral contraceptives can also help in controlling acne by suppressing the overactive glands.
Some Management Tips:
- Do not scrub the skin too hard as they may leave scars on the face.
- Drink a lot of water as it will help to clear the blood.
- Refrain from touching the face all the time.
- Wash hands frequently especially before applying the lotion.
- Avoid going out in the sun.
- Use sunscreen before stepping out in sun.
- Try to keep cool and dry in the hot climate.