6 best foods that save us from constipation
At one point or another, everyone has experienced constipation. Studies also indicate that about 14% of people experience chronic constipation. Most of the symptoms include passing stools less than 3 times a week, lumpy or hard poop, a sensation of incomplete evacuation, unable to poop etc. Although, the type and symptoms may vary from person to person, some experience it rarely whereas, for others the condition becomes chronic. This condition has a variety of causes but mainly it is due to slow movement of food through the digestive system. It could also be due to dehydration, poor diet, medications, illness, mental disorders etc. According to a report published in Advances in Nutrition, dietary fiber plays an important role in maintaining a healthy digestive system.
Here are 6 best foods that can relieve your constipation:
1. Apples: Being rich in fiber, apples are a great source for improving the symptoms of constipation. An apple with a skin on it contains 3.6 grams of fiber. It contains insoluble fiber that acts as a natural laxative. It is also available in the form of the dietary fiber called pectin which has been fermented by bacteria to form short-chain fatty acids that pull water into the colon, softening the stool as well as decreasing the gut transit time. Apples are the easy medium to boost the content of the fiber of your diet and also alleviate constipation. You can either eat them whole, make the juice or include it in salads. It’s up to you.
2. Pears: Another food rich in fiber is pear which is about 22% of the recommended fiber intake. It is high in fructose and sorbitol if compared with other fruits. They are full of antioxidants as well as vitamins. You can eat it any way you like. Either eat them raw or cooked, include them in salads or with cheese.
3. Kiwifruit: It is 9% of the recommended intake of fiber. Eating two kiwifruits daily for about two weeks will result in more spontaneous bowel movements. When people consumed kiwis regularly, it increased the frequency as well as ease of defecation. They can be eaten raw. Just peel them or cut them in a half. Scoop out the green flesh as well as seeds. It can also be added to make smoothies.
4. Citrus Fruits: There are various citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, limes etc that are a refreshing snack and also are a good source of fiber. They are rich in a soluble fiber pectin that helps in accelerating colonic transit time and improve the symptoms of constipation. Therefore, it’s best to eat citrus fruits fresh to make sure you get the maximum amount of fiber and vitamin C. These fruits go well in salads. You can eat them just like that also.
5. Green Leafy Vegetables: Spinach, Broccoli, Brussel sprouts etc are few of the green leafy vegetables that are beneficial in case of indigestion. They are a great source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K as well as folate. These help in adding bulk as well as weight to stools, that makes it easier to pass through gut. One cup of cooked spinach contains a lot of fiber and nutrients. All of them can be cooked and added to soups and stews. You can also eat them raw and get all the nutrients.
6. Whole Grain Food: If you start off your day with whole grain cereal, you’ll have regular motions throughout the day. Oats are filled with soluble fiber that helps dissolve water, soften stools, and also make them easier to pass through the gut. You can have it any way you like, either in cereals or in bread.
These 6 foods are a great way to save you from constipation. Share it with your friends and family to create awareness.