Chapped Lips? Know the solution
With the changes in climate, it is more important to take care of your chapped lips. If you think, that it only happens in winter, you should change your mindset. Unless you take special care, your lips can get dry, sore as well as scaly anytime. They can be caused by various factors like weather or excessive licking of the lips. Some people develop a severe form of chapped lips called cheilitis. So, you can treat dry and sore lips with preventive measures. There are various things that you can do to keep your lips soft and supple.
- Use a lip balm: If your lips are also dry and sore, it is important to opt for a good lip balm. It can buffer your delicate skin from the elements. They are a wax-like substance applied topically to the lips to moisturize them. You should buy a good lip balm carefully.
Keep these things in mind while picking the lip balm:
1. They should offer intense hydration and protection.
2. They should have an SPF(Sun Protection Factor) of 30, so as to defend them from UV rays.
3. It should be water resistant for at least 4 hours.
- Protect your lips: Just like you cover your hands, feet while stepping out in the sun, also protect your lips. Wear a scarf that covers your mouth.
- Stay hydrated: Fight dehydration as it leads to chapped lips. Keep drinking water in the regular intervals. It provides moisture that your lips and skin crave. You can also use a humidifier at home to replenish your lips.
- Do not leave them alone: Do not bite your lips or peel the flaky skin. The skin of lips is extremely delicate, picking it can cause bleeding and irritation. It can also cause further damage. If the problem gets worse, it will be better to consult a dermatologist.
What are the risk factors for chapped lips?
Everyone can get chapped lips especially when they have dry skin. Sometimes, intake of certain medications can also increase the risk factor. Some medications that can give rise to dry and flaky lips are:
- Vitamin A
- Chemotherapy drugs
So, try to avoid these medications or follow some preventions in order to make your lips beautiful. You can usually protect them with simple treatments. That’s all about lips and how you can keep them from flaking and getting sore. Share with your family and friends to spread awareness. Stay safe Stay healthy.