Millions of people around the world are suffering from diabetes mellitus which is a lifelong disease that affects the way glucose works in your body.
There are two types of diabetes : Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Most of the people in the world are suffering from type 2 diabetes. About 27 million people are suffering from it whereas 86 million have prediabetes.
What causes Type 2 diabetes?
The major causes are:
- Body starts resisting the effects of insulin which is a hormone released by it to manage the glucose level.
- When the body does not produce enough insulin
- Sometimes, overweight could also be an issue.
- Lack of Exercise
- Excessive Sweeteners
What are the symptoms?
There are various signs and symptoms which can tell you that you are likely to have type 2 diabetes:
- Excessive Thirst
- Increase in weight
- Peeing a lot
- Dark skin around groin or arm pits.
- Unhealed wounds
- Family history
- Had pre diabetes or gestational diabetes
- High cholesterol
Type 2 diabetes can be diagnosed by various methods. There are multiple kinds of test that are conducted to find whether you have diabetes or not:
A1C Test: It is one of the most common tests done to diagnose a patient with diabetes. This test indicates your sugar level for the past 2 to 3 months. It measures how much percentage of sugar is attached with your haemoglobin. More the sugar, higher will be the risk of diabetes among person. If your level is 6 percent or higher, you will be considered prediabetic. Normal level will be below 5.6 percent.
Fasting Blood Sugar Test: In this, the person first need to keep an overnight fast and then fasting blood sugar is tested. It levels from 100 to 125 mg/dl.
Random Blood sugar Test: The sugar is tested at a random time.If your measurement is 200 or higher than that, you are considered diabetic. You need to consult the doctor immediately
How to treat?
If you have prediabetes or type 1, type 2 diabetes, you must pay extra attention towards the treatment because if diabetes dealt carelessly, could seriously harm you.
There are various ways with which diabetes can be managed:
- By monitoring blood sugar
- By diabetes medication or insulin
- Selecting low fat, high fibers, slow release carbs can help you in getting your diabetes under control.
- An apple a day will balance your sugar level
- Wholesome grains like millet, quinoa, beans, blueberries broccoli etc are advisable for diabetics.
- Eat fewer animal products like refined carbohydrates and sweets.
Some Exercises for Diabetics:
There are some exercises that helps in reducing the level of diabetes by a greater rate:
- Tai Chi