4 Effective Exercises To Strengthen Muscles
What is strength?
Strength is basically a term used to refer to one of the output capabilities of the motor system of an individual. Strength is required for various purposes in life such as:
- Improves the ability of a person to do daily activities
- Increases the stamina
- Improves the stability of the joints
- Prevents back pain
There are various exercises which are practised to strengthen the muscles and these exercises are practised to improve muscular strength, power, and local muscular endurance. Generally, there are many different types of equipment that provide resistance that helps to increase strength and equipment such as weight machines, free weight, bands, and stability balls. But, there are various exercises to strengthen muscles that can be done at home without any equipment.
Why is muscle strength important?
In a broad category of fitness, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility play a vital role. Muscle strength is important for the musculoskeletal system as strong muscles make it possible to have a full range of motion at the joints. Strengthening the different muscles of the body have different benefits, such as strengthening abdominal muscles promote good posture and correct pelvic alignment.
What are the exercises to strengthen muscles?
There are many exercises that can be practised to strengthen the muscles in the body. Always do some warm-up and stretching before doing these exercises. Some of the exercises that are highly effective and can be done at home without any types of equipment are as follows:
Plank is a simple but amazing exercise that provides multiple health benefits and the effects of plank on the body are so amazing that even one minute a day will make a difference. Plank is a non-moving exercise that requires a lot of strength.
Plank is simple but not easy. Regular practising of plank can significantly improve the strength of the muscles, especially abdominal muscles. Plank involves all the core muscles and strengthens them. Back muscles are also impacted. Plank not only strengthens muscles, but it also has many other benefits such as it boosts metabolism, improves posture, and improves overall balance.
How to do a plank?
- Start by getting into the pushup position, that is palms on the floor next to shoulder and feet with the bottom of the toes on the floor.
- Take a deep breath and push your body up.
- Get into a position in which your body is in a straight line, from the heels to the top of the head. Don’t allow your hips and head fall.
- Stay in that position for around 30 to 40 seconds and then return to your initial position.
- Repeat the steps for three times.
Squat is a well-known exercise to strengthen the muscles, especially of the lower limbs. Squat causes the movement in the body requiring the simultaneous pattern of the ankle, knee, and hip joints. Squats are amazingly effective and can be practised in many ways such as single leg squats, front squat and deep squat.
Each type of squat targets the specific muscles and strengthen them. Squat have multiple benefits on the body such as it helps in burning more fat, helps in improving the balance and posture, and boosts the overall metabolism of the body.
How to do squats?
- Start by standing straight with feet hip-width apart while placing your hands on the hips.
- Now bend your knees slightly and slowly lower your body.
- Push your butts and hips outwards and get into a position as if you are sitting on a chair.
- Bend your knees to 90 degrees and all your weight should be directly over the heels.
- Pause in that position and slowly return to your initial position.
- Repeat the steps for at least 10 times.
Yoga has always been a priority for many and this is due to its high benefits. Boat pose is one of the yoga postures that are highly effective in increasing the strength of a person. Boat pose has an impact on almost every part of the body.
Apart from strengthening the muscles, practising boat pose also provides multiple other health benefits such as improves the process of digestion, reduces stress, stimulates different parts of the body such as thyroid, prostate gland, and intestine. Boat pose is primarily known to strengthen and tone the abdominal muscles.
How to do boat pose?
- Sit on the mat with your legs out in front of you and hands on the floor behind the hips.
- Lean slightly backwards and slowly bend your knees and lift your thighs in such a way that it is at 45 degrees.
- Now stretch your arms forward along the legs and parallel to the floor.
- Breathe normally and stay in that position for a few seconds.
- Slowly come out of the pose and return to your initial position.
Crunches have a wide range of benefits on the human body and it is one of the exercises that must be added to the daily routine. Crunches have an impact on various muscles in the body but primarily it impacts the abdominal muscles that stabilize the upper body and helps to maintain the right posture. Crunches strengthen the core muscles and improve overall flexibility and posture.
How to do crunches?
- Lie on the ground and bend your knees keeping them shoulder-width apart. Feet should be flat on the floor.
- Take your hands behind the head and hold your elbows out to the side.
- Move your chin inward such that there is some inch gap between the chin and the chest.
- Now pull your abdominals inward and move forward such that your head, neck, and shoulder lift off the floor.
- Hold at the top for a moment and return to your position. Repeat the steps for 10 to 15 times.