How much are you aware of Blood Pressure?
People who have high blood pressure usually have a lot to compromise with. Their daily diet, schedule get influenced because of the rise in pressure. When the pressure of blood increases on the walls of your arteries as your heart pumps it, around your body, you usually tend to experience high blood pressure. Doctors call it in systolic and diastolic.
The medical name of Blood Pressure is Hypertension
What is Systolic Blood Pressure?
When the heart beats, it squeezes more blood through your arteries, to the other parts of the body. This process causes a force on the blood vessels, which will be your systolic blood pressure.
Stages of Systolic Blood Pressure:
1. An average systolic blood pressure is below 120.
2. Stage 1 will be when your B.P lies between 130 and 139.
3. Stage 2 will be when the pressure of blood goes beyond 140. This case is also called HyperTension
4. A stage also comes when your B.P is 180 or more, you need to immediately call 911.
What is Diastolic Blood Pressure?
Diastolic also called the bottom number is when the arteries face the pressure during the interval when the heart rests between beats. At that time, heart fills with blood which causes complications.
Stages of Diastolic Blood Pressure
1. Normal Diastolic Pressure is lower than 80
2. Stage 1 is when it lies between 80-89
3. Stage 2 is the condition when pressure is 90 or more. This is also called Stage 2 Hypertension.
4. The Hypersensitive case starts when the blood pressure reaches 120 or more. In that case, you need to call 911 immediately.
Fig. How your blood Pressure ranges?
There is a device called Sphygmomanometer which is used to measure the blood pressure. A doctor or nurse generally measures it with the device. The process is simple.
- The person who is testing your blood pressure generally wraps the cuff around your arms.
- The nurse will listen to the movement of blood around your arteries with the help of a stethoscope.
- The cuff will be inflated the pressure higher than your systolic blood pressure due to which your arm will get tightened.
- When the cuff will be released, the sound of blood will be heard and noted. The first sound will be the systolic blood pressure and the point at which the sound ends will be the diastolic blood pressure.
- Keep one thing in mind that while reading the blood pressure, the systolic number always comes before diastolic number.
Is it possible to check blood pressure at home?
If you always have high blood pressure, it gets problematic to keep going to doctor every day for the checkup. In that case, you can check your blood pressure at home.
You can talk to your doctor about checking the B.P at home. Get the recommendation of using an easy-to-use blood pressure machine. Having the machine doesn’t mean that you no longer need to visit your doctor. Make regular visits and keep him informed about your readings.
What to do while checking at home?
- Do make sure that the machine is working properly and give accurate results.
- Check if the cuff fits you correctly.
- If the cuff is too large or too small, ask for the one that is suitable for you.
- Follow all the directions given by the doctor and mentioned on the device.
What are the symptoms?
If you have the following symptoms, you may have high blood pressure. Therefore, it is high time you visit your doctor:
- Blurred Vision
- Shortness of Breath
A study has been conducted about how much percent of adults in The United States is suffering from hypertension. The results are shocking. It has been found that many of them are not even aware that they have the complication of high blood pressure, whereas some of them are also there who know that they have the problem but yet not getting the treatment.
Following pie-chart brings the clear image:
Fig. Study conducted in US Adults having high blood pressure
If you are regularly taking medicine for controlling hypertension, it is still recommended for you to manage your diet and exercise. With all the precautions you can get a healthy life with reduced blood pressure.