Hypersexuality is defined as an obsession towards sexual urge, thoughts or behaviour, which results in distress and gives a negative impact on health, job or relationships. It is also known as compulsive sexual behaviour, hypersexuality disorder or sexual addiction.
People suffering from hypersexuality involve various enjoyable sexual experiences, such as masturbation, cybersex, pornography, making sex as a profession, having multiple sexual partners.
Excess of anything is bad. Such people, every time focuses on sex in their day to day life, which further becomes difficult for them to control and becomes harmful. If it is left untreated, it may damage your self-esteem, relationships, career, health and your partner’s as well. With the help of proper treatment and self-help, it is possible to get rid of such obsession.
What Are Hypersexuality Symptoms?
Symptoms that indicate a person is suffering from hypersexuality are as follows:-
- Having periodic and intense sexual fantasies, urges and behaviours that are not under your control.
- The feeling of getting driven towards sexual behaviours. Feeling tension-free after sex, but also have guilt or remorse.
- Continuous unsuccessful tries to reduce or control your sexual fantasies, urges or behaviour.
- Using compulsive sexual behaviour as an alternative to deal with problems, such as loneliness, depression, anxiety or stress.
- You continue to engage in sexual behaviours that have serious consequences, such as the potential of being infected or transmitting someone else a sexually transmitted infection, the loss of important relationships, trouble at work, financial strain, or legal problems.
- Such people face difficulty in establishing and maintaining healthy and stable relationships.
What To Do When Its High Time?
Once you feel that you are suffering from hypersexuality especially when you are facing a problem for you and other people because of your behaviour, seek for medical help. The symptoms of hypersexuality increase with time, therefore it is necessary to help yourself in case you are suffering from it.
Its good to self-analyse about the occurrence of hypersexuality before visiting the professional as hypersexuality treatment involves a deeply personal conversation. Hence first confirm your doubt by asking yourself about:-
- Is it possible for you t manage your sexual impulses?
- Are feeling distressed because of sexual behaviours?
- Are you having trouble managing your relationships, work, results because of sexual behaviour?
- Do you try to hide your sexual behaviour?
In case the result of this self-assessment comes positive, go for hypersexuality treatment. There are some points that you should keep in mind before beginning the treatment, such as:-
- Try to be positive; keep your shame or embarrassment aside, and keep your major focus on the benefits of the treatment.
- Do not take hypersexuality as guilt. You are not the only one suffering from this, many other people are affected by this. The health professionals are trained in such a way that you will so that they can provide the best possible treatment for compulsive sexual behaviour.
- Do not worry about anything during the treatment. Everything during the treatment is kept confidential and wil remain between you and the doctor.
Do You Know About Hypersexuality Causes?
The causes of hypersexuality are not yet cleared, but there are some factors that increase the chance of developing hypersexuality, such as:-
- It has been noticed that a variation in the balance of some chemicals in the brain may lead to the occurrence of hypersexuality. The chemicals in such cases are responsible for regulating your mood and are called neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, norepinephrine, or dopamine. People suffering from hypersexuality have been noticed with an imbalance in such chemicals.
- Compulsive sexual behaviour if not treated, may become addicted to you, and if it is not treated for an extended period of time, it may also alter your brain’s neural circuits. As other addictions, the requirement of more intense sexual content increases with time if such obsession is left untreated.
- Some medical complications, such as epilepsy or dementia that are related to the impulses of the brain, may also result in hypersexuality. Additionally, consumption of dopamine, along with the medications for Parkinson’s disease, may also cause hypersexuality. You will find one thing common in all these conditions, alteration in the chemicals responsible for your mood can result in compulsive sexual behaviour.
Are You Aware Of The Risk Factors For Developing Hypersexuality?
Hypersexuality may occur to anyone, irrespective of gender, but it may be more common in men. Here are some factors that increase the risk of developing hypersexuality, such as:-
- Easy availability of sexual content through social media and the internet.
- Secrecy and privacy of sexual activities enhance the symptoms of hypersexuality
- A habit of consuming alcohol and drugs also increase the risk of hypersexuality
- Having a history of physical or sexual abuse enhances the signs and symptoms of hypersexuality.
Some factors may get affected because of the occurrence of hypersexuality, such as:-
- Struggling with the feeling of shame, guilt, and self-esteem(lack of confidence)
- The chance of developing some health complications increases, such as depression, suicide, server distress, and anxiety
- You may start neglecting or lying to your partner and your near and dear ones that may cause you harm and damage your relations.
- Your major focus may change from your primary work to sexual activities, such as searching pornography while working and risking your job.
- Due to the tendency of being obsessed with sexual activities, the change of getting infected by diseases, such as HIV, hepatitis, and other sexually transmitted diseases increases.
- In some cases, in order to enhance your efficiency during sexual activity, you may engage yourself in consuming unhealthy substances, such as recreational drugs or alcohol.
- Because of being sexually addicted some people may also engage themselves into sexual offences and may get arrested.
Is There Any Way To Prevent Hypersexuality?
As the specific cause behind hypersexuality is not known, it is not clear about the things that need to be prevented. But there are some parameters of prevention which can help you protect against compulsive sexual behaviour.
- Try to seek help as soon as early once you get to know that you are suffering from hypersexuality. Treating the signs and symptoms of it before the situation gets worse will help you in every way.
- If you are suffering from depression or anxiety, try to resolve the problem at its early stage before it leads to compulsive sexual behaviour.
- Another possibility of developing hypersexuality is the consumption of drugs or alcohol. If you fall under this category, it is advisable to stop consuming it as it may result in poor judgement and also towards unhealthy sexual life.
- Being obsessed with sexual activity may lead to increased risk of developing STDs, and that can be fatal. In order to avoid such situations, try to control your sexual behaviour.