Today, it is possible to eat something that is not from the soil but on the desk of a laboratory. Yes, these foods are called genetically modified foods and they are bringing a drastic change in the way people view their diet.
Selective breeding and other growing methods have been producing modified crops for ages. The scientific advances allowed these practices to promote the genetic level of food available today.
- Genetically modified plants are resistant to various spray pesticides, and herbicides and become adaptive to the environmental conditions, thereby growing in an effective way to provide the necessary benefits that humans require from food.
- The most prominent advantage of genetically modified foods is the yield of the crop becomes more productive and consistent.
- It allows more people to be fed with whatever has been produced.
- The world is currently producing 20% more food in laboratories than what is required.
- Even though genetically modified foods have been produced for the advantage, they do come with disadvantages as well.
- There are no conclusive links but on a genetic level, the changes in food offer proteins to combine. These proteins are not used by humans for consumption.
All of the above changes increases the chances of allergic reactions when a person is eating genetically modified food. Fatty protein is not required by the human body as such, the rate of allergies in children increases considerably.
Here Is A List Of Advantages That Genetically Modified Food Has For Us
Predictable Food Supplies
When you know the amount of crop you are producing, the food supply is usually predictable. At the same time, this gives the ability to reduce food reserves around the world providing a well-rounded nutritional opportunity that may not have existed in the past.
Overall Nutritional Content Of The Food Is Improved
Genetically modified food has better nutrition than the ones that are produced in the soil these days. This is because they are usually pesticide, and herbicides resistance and do not mix nutrition with chemicals.
- The nutritional content of the crops can be altered in itself and the generation can enjoy the entire nutritional value of the food they eat.
- The same nutrition can be gained from lower levels of food consumption than with higher levels of food.
- The global vitamin deficiency today has reduced to a considerable level because genetically modified is rice.
- It has an enormous amount of vitamin A which is not present in the even most high yielding rice crops of the world.
Longest Shelf Life Of Genetically Modified Foods
Genetically modified foods are capable enough to extend food life by enhancing the natural qualities of the food itself. This may make it possible to not rely on preservatives for maintaining the freshness of the food.
While it sits on a shelf, preservatives are richly concentrated with a carcinogen that results in allergy risks and heart diseases.
Genetic modification has made it possible to produce proteins and vaccines along with a lot of pharmaceutical goods. This is achieved through a process called pharming.
- This practice is cheaper than improving personal help and changes how certain medications provided to patients in the future can be altered with a normal diet.
- The future of technology will make it possible to eat your dinner and get a tetanus booster in the food itself instead of receiving a shot in the arm.
Transportation Is Quite Easy
Because of the prolonged shelf life, it is possible to transfer genetically modified foods to great distances. Food is taken from one community and delivered to the other without experiencing food shortages.
This improvement gives an opportunity to limit food waste, especially in the developing world so that hunger can be reduced and potentially eliminated in the days to come.
Less Use Of Herbicides And Pesticides
Pesticides and herbicides are filled with chemicals that eventually make the soil unstable. Farmers, while growing genetically modified crops use pesticides to remove the pest from the field, which is responsible for destroying the crops.
Modified foods grown from the soil allowed the farmers to recover the nutrition of the soil over time and also the farmer benefits by achieving a predictable yield at the same time.
Even though they come with a lot of advantages here are some of the disadvantages.
The legal liability of farmers is more in the case of genetically modified foods than crops that are produced from the soil.
- Modified methods to produce genetically modified seeds have cross-pollination done between the genetically modified crops and which poses a higher risk of liability on farmers.
- Antibiotic resistance modified crops are grown to include antibiotics that kill germs and pest and which are responsible for reducing the effectiveness of antibiotics and other medication when needed in the traditional sense.
- This is because these foods are prepared with antibiotics when consumed any organism that would be affected by the prescription antibiotic has built an immunity to it, which can cause illness and result in difficulty in getting cure.
- The genetically modified crops share the field with other plants that include weeds as well.
- This has a high risk of migration where genes from herbicide-resistant crops get into the weeds.
- It is designed to kill, causes introduction off the cellular level and also results in unforeseen complications when the benefits of genetically modified food may not fade out with the problems that they cause.
- For example, today dozens of species do not get destroyed when atrazine is topically spread on them.
At all stages of life, we should access the right amount of nutritious food. All the developing nations find it difficult to serve the population with nutritious foods today.
From the above, it is quite clear that the advantages and disadvantages of genetically modified foods can spark a good debate about better food access with low antibiotic resistance at the expense of personal health.
We deserve to know what we are eating and how the food is grown and knowing about genetically modified food allows us to choose the right one.