Be it getting pricked with a needle or relieving pain with the help of a chiropractor, acupuncture and chiropractic are proven methods known to relieve nausea, and pregnancy symptoms, including labor pain. Pregnancy comes with a lot of pain and prodding.
In the midst of all these symptoms running in your body, you might not try poking needles, of course, that must be the last thing to do. However, acupuncture is known to banish pregnancy woes and research has shown that many women have praised the practice. Many of the common discomforts that come along with pregnancy can be cured with acupuncture.
Acupuncture And Pregnancy
The importance of this noninvasive therapy comes with the fact that it is capable of relieving physical as well as mental issues. Acupuncture is not always backed by scientific evidence therefore, people tend to make an uncertain choice when it comes to opting for needle therapy as a way to relieve pain.
During pregnancy, a woman faces physiological, psychological, and metabolic changes. The adverse effects of discomfort and hormonal changes can be relieved to a great extent with acupuncture. Many women use acupuncture during delivery to ease labor pain with the help of an expert acupuncturist and efficient gynecologist.
Some of the pregnancy symptoms can be:
After the third trimester, any symptom can be eased with acupuncture. The points of the needle are aimed towards deep-seated nerves so when needles are twirled or electrically stimulated, the nerves get activated. The electrical stimulation of the acupuncture needle is known as electric culture.
This process triggers the release of an enormous amount of brain chemicals including endorphins. These endorphins act together to block pain signals and relieve discomfort.
- Not only does it cure nausea and vomiting but also sciatica and carpal tunnel syndrome can be reduced with regular practice of acupuncture.
- Morning sickness- The traditional method of acupuncture targets the wrist area to reduce vomiting and nausea associated with morning sickness. The pericardium P6 located below the wrist is stimulated that helps control signs of vomiting and discomfort.
- Lower back and pelvic pain- More than usual, this needle therapy has shown better results when it comes to treating pelvic pain. The pressure of a child developing inside a woman's body is majorly felt in the pelvic area. Practicing acupuncture therapy during the second and third trimester will not cause any adverse effects. The pressure points are the lR3 and lL4 located on the foot and hand respectively. Along with local center points in the pelvic girdle and lower back regions, are the main points of focus while treating needles in the Deep-seated nerves.
- Depression- Pregnant women often suffer from major depressive disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorder. These depressive disorders lead to a sense of emotional imbalance. 8 weeks of acupuncture treatment after the second trimester is known to reduce symptoms compared to normal massage therapies.
- Headaches And Sleep Problems- Headaches that induce tension and sleep disturbances are also treated with acupuncture. Women often suffer from insomnia and sleep apnea because of triggered feelings, especially at midnight. With acupuncture, women have shown better sleep results and also eliminated any type of headache due to overthinking.
Moxibustion During Pregnancy
Acupuncture and moxibustion are known to work on the same basic principles. In the case of moxibustion, instead of using skin needles, long sticks of mugwort herbs are burnt near the pressure points used in acupuncture. The heat from burning the herb and the properties of the herb itself provide physical benefits when practiced regularly.
It is known to increase fetal activity and help the baby turn from a breech position. A breech position is not a delivery friendly position and is referred to as the scenario when the baby is feet first instead of head first.
Acupuncture can also be used to correct the baby's position by turning the head downwards for delivery. The pressure point for acupuncture is the urinary bladder which is BL67, the primary stimulation point to correct fetal position.
Possible Risks During Pregnancy
Although the side effects of acupuncture and not much, however, it is better to know the possible risks before opting for the therapy.
- Once the needles are pulled out from the skin, there would be patches of redness at the site of insertion along with excessive sweating, and even nausea. Nausea does not last for long and usually fades within a minute or two.
- A potent risk with acupuncture lies in the fact that it may cause preterm labor. This may happen if the pressure points of full-term labor are stimulated before 9 months. As such it may cause a woman to deliver before the actual time. Safe practices can be added instead of advanced ones.
- Do not settle for an uncertified practitioner. Conduct adequate research on the safety protocols, and consult your gynecologist before getting on board with the therapy.
Acupuncture Points During Pregnancy
Below is the list of some acupuncture points that can be stimulated during pregnancy. However, not all theories are backed by scientific research, so take your doctor’s approval before opting for this procedure.
Point – P6 – The Neiguan Inner pass
The P6 point is commonly known as the sea-sickness point. This is because it is associated with nausea. Women who suffer from abdominal fullness, frequent hiccups and vomiting will get much help from acupuncture if this point is stimulated. Along with it, carpal tunnel syndrome can also be treated and cured. This point is present at the palm of the wrist.
Point – Du 20 – The Baihui Hundred Meeting Point
Depression and low morale can be treated by pressurizing this point with needles. It will help in lifting the spirit, preventing hemorrhoids and also lower the chances of miscarriage in pregnant women. Uterine prolapse can be treated well to prevent preterm labor. It is located on the midline of the head. Place your fingers on the highest point of your ears to learn its presence. A tingling sensation will be felt automatically.
A lot of pressure points are present throughout the body. The ones listed above are the most important and reeling ones. Apart from them, the CV17 Chest center point, the ST36 Zusanli Leg 3 miles point, and many others can be stimulated to relieve the expecting mother of the horrible physical innuendos. Make sure to take care of yourself and consult the doctor prior to the application.