Do You Know That Smoking And Drinking Can Affect Potency?
The health consequences of drinking and smoking are known to everyone but still, it is one of the most common addictions. The total number of cases of sexual dysfunction in both men and women are increasing rapidly and it is believed that smoking and drinking is one of the main cause of dysfunction. It can be said that smoking has become one of the main cause of death and diseases in the United States and the developed countries around the world. In the United States, a large number of people of reproductive age inhales nicotine through cigarette smoking on a daily basis. Smoking can cause an imbalance in the endocrine system and can cause an impairment of fertility in both sexes. A cigarette contains thousands of chemicals and most of them are toxic.
In men, Sexual dysfunction is at high prevalence and throws major impact on the quality of life. Erectile dysfunction is one of the most common sexual problems and it is a condition which is defined as a consistent inability to obtain or maintain penile erection sufficient enough to enjoy the satisfactory sexual activity. The chances of suffering from erectile dysfunction increase with an advancing age but it is not the only factor that causes erectile dysfunction. There are many other factors that cause this sexual dysfunction and drinking and smoking is one of the factors that contribute to the development of erectile problems. Numerous studies have shown that smoking can have far more serious effects on erectile function than anyone can think and it is a single responsible cause of thousands of cases. There are many pieces of evidence that prove that people who smoke are 1.5 times more likely to develop erectile problems as compared to those who do not smoke.
- Smoking activates the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis and enhances the effects of the adrenocorticotropic hormone on the adrenal cortex and this results in an increased production of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol is often known as stress hormone and the problems with the sexual functionality are highly related to the production of cortisol. Increase in the cortisol level in the body leads to a decrease in the production of the hormone testosterone in the body and testosterone plays an essential role in men’s health. Deficiency of this hormone is directly related to the sexual dysfunction.
- Smoking also leads to the reduction in the nitric oxide and secretion of nitric oxide plays a vital role for the satisfactory penile erection. Nitric oxide causes the relaxation of smooth muscles of the erectile tissue. Nitric oxide activates the enzymes and increases the level of Cyclic guanosine monophosphate which in turn allows the inflow of blood to the penis region.
- Cigarette smoking contains a large number of substances such as nicotine, carbon monoxide, radioactive polonium and many other harmful chemicals. Nicotine is one of the most harmful chemicals that are present in cigarette smoking. It adversely affects the health of a person and has a direct effect on the blood vessels, including the blood vessel that carries blood to the penis. It leads to a decrease in the flow of blood. Blood flow plays an important role in the erectile function. The erectile function works between the vascular, hormonal, neurological and psychological factors. Attaining firm erection requires an adequate arterial inflow of blood and also the reduction of venous outflow. Nicotine affects the functioning of the arterial and venous system and has a negative impact on the erectile function.
Chronic and excessive consumption of alcohol is known to induce sexual dysfunction. Alcohol abuse is known to be one of the causes of impotence and other problems related to sexuality. According to the researchers, men who consume excessive alcohol often experience reduced sexual desires and erectile failure in an alcoholic man is quite common. It is believed that sexual dysfunction in the alcoholic can be due to the depressing effect of alcohol. Consumption of alcohol can cause many problems and some of them include
- Decreased sexual desire - It is a condition in which a person experiences the recurrent absence of desire for sexual activity.
- Sexual aversion disorder - This disorder is defined as a persistent avoidance of genital sexual contact with a sexual partner.
- Difficulty in erections - This condition is known as erectile dysfunction and it is a persistent inability to attain satisfied penile erection during sexual intercourse.
- Premature ejaculation - It is a persistent ejaculation that happens before the person wishes it.