The costs involved in Erectile Dysfunction not only depend on the type of surgery performed but also on the healthcare advisor you are seeing.
The cost may vary according to the type of surgery performed. The cost for such surgeries typically run between $16,000 to $19,000 including all associated fees (varies).
The tissue responsible for giving shape to the penis are of two types:
Corpus Cavernosa: The two pieces of parallel cylinders located at the top of the penis.
Corpus Spongiosum: One cylindrical piece of tissues located at the bottom of the penis surrounding the urethra.
Erectile Dysfunction is caused due to improper functioning of these Corpus tissues blocking the flow of blood in the penis. These Corpus tissues are replaced by cylinders or rods having silicon fluid, Penuma.
The Penuma is a crescent-shaped piece of medical-grade silicone fluid that flows inside the cylinder making the penis firm and rigid. It is available according to the sizes: large, extra-large, and extra-extra-large.
In general, there are three types of surgeries performed for erectile dysfunction:-
- It involves three components in surgery that are interconnected by special tubing. A pump is inserted into the penis, an inflatable pump in the scrotum, and a fluid-filled container in the abdomen.
- The fluid present in these parts is responsible for the erection.
- The pump in the scrotum causes the fluid to move from the container to the cylinders, making an erection possible.
- When inflated the fluid squeezes out from the cylinders back into the container.
- Such surgeries are costly than two-piece inflatable surgery.
- This type of surgery is similar to a three-piece inflatable surgery, but the only difference is the number of components used.
- In such surgeries, a fluid-filled container is not present, instead, the fluids are filled within the pump in the scrotum.
- However, two-piece inflatable surgery gives less rigidity and firmness as compared to a three-piece inflatable.
- Two-piece surgery is a good option and gets the job done but for an optimal effect, three-piece surgery is recommended.
Semi-Rigid or Malleable Rods
- In this case, instead of cylinders, two silicon rods are inserted into the penis. This surgery leaves an impact on the penis.
- This surgery gives a permanent semirigid state although different positions can be set easily.
- Though it is very easy to use, men find the tendency of semi rigidity uncomfortable.
- Surgeries involving Semi-Rigid or Malleable rods are considered cheapest in terms of cost among the three surgeries.
Results from the model showed a noticeable trend of decreasing cost patterns over time and observed weakness for many of the standard medical therapies for ED.
Here are some facts about Penuma surgery:-
- You’ll need to circumcise the penis before the procedure.
- The procedure generally takes 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
- Your surgeon will use general anaesthesia to keep you asleep for the surgery.
- Your penis will be swollen for a few weeks after the surgery and its a natural effect.
- You’ll need to withhold from masturbation and sexual activity for about six weeks.
- You can go home the same day.
- You’ll need a follow-up visit after two to three days.