Do you know that turmeric is known as a “Golden Spice Of India”? Turmeric is a spice that is widely used in households. It belongs to the family of Zingiberaceae and other than a spice, it has also been used in traditional medicine as a household remedy of multiple diseases.
Multiple studies have been conducted to investigate the benefits of turmeric on the human body. It was observed that turmeric is one of the greatest and beneficial plants. It provides an infinite number of benefits to the human body. It contains many pharmacological properties. Studies have demonstrated that turmeric has many properties that are beneficial in the treatment of a wide range of chronic diseases.
Flavonoids Curcuminoids are the active constituents of turmeric and it consists of the group of three curcuminoids - curcumin, desmethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin. Some of the pharmacological properties of turmeric include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antioxidant properties
- Anticarcinogenic properties
- Antimicrobial properties
- Antibacterial properties
- Antidepressant properties
One of the most important properties of curcumin is boosting immunity. Researchers have demonstrated that turmeric or curcumin is almost five times stronger than vitamin C and vitamin E. The antioxidant property of this spice helps in boosting immunity and maintaining health. Turmeric has multiple benefits and medicinal benefits of turmeric help in treating and preventing multiple diseases.
Curcumin is believed to have vital antioxidants that take part in improving heart health. Turmeric is known to have benefits of various cardiovascular disease.
- Most often, cardiovascular disease occurs due to the buildup of plaque and clot formation in the arteries of the heart. The buildup of plaque and the clot formation leads to the blockage of arteries and increases the risk of a heart attack. Turmeric plays a role in preventing the buildup of plaque and it also prevents the blockage, which results in reduced risk of a heart attack.
- The protective properties of turmeric have the ability to lower cholesterol and triglyceride level. The extracts of turmeric decrease the susceptibility of low-density lipoprotein to lipid peroxidation. Turmeric also lowers plasma cholesterol and triglyceride level. High level of low-density lipoprotein (often known as bad cholesterol) and triglycerides are the common causes of cardiovascular disease. The primary goal of turmeric is to decrease low-density lipoprotein and increase high-density lipoprotein (often known as good cholesterol). It helps the liver to decrease low-density lipoprotein and decrease the risk of heart disease.
- Another cause of how turmeric is beneficial to heart health is that turmeric helps to maintain the endothelial function of the body, which is directly associated with cardiovascular disease. The endothelium produces some vasodilator and vasoconstrictor functions which help in maintaining cardiovascular health.
- Some studies show that curcumin reduces the risk of damage from myocardial infarction. Myocardial infarction is a condition which occurs when there is a decrease in blood flow and it results in damage to the heart muscles. It is associated with a large number of pathological changes. Turmeric decreases the severity of pathological changes and protects a person to damage caused by myocardial infarction.
Studies have demonstrated that curcumin can play a vital role in the treatment of various central nervous system disorder.
- Alzheimer’s disease is one of the most common neurological disorder and it is characterized by mild memory loss and it affects the person’s ability to carry out daily activities. It involves the parts of the brain that control thoughts, memory, and language. There are various mechanisms which state the beneficial effects of turmeric in preventing the occurrence of Alzheimer’s disease. It is believed that turmeric has a direct effect in decreasing the amyloid pathology of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Major depression is a severe neurological disorder which is characterized by sadness, irritated mood, lack of interest, sleep disorders and significant weight gain or weight loss. Turmeric contains antidepressant properties and it is mediated through the inhibition of monoamine oxidize A. Stress play a major role in the development of depression and there are some evidence that suggests that turmeric can reduce the stress and its effect on an individual.
- Parkinson’s disease is the second largest neurological disorder after Alzheimer’s disease. It is defined as a condition which causes increased debilitating symptoms that results from the damage caused to dopaminergic cells. The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric can play a role in treating and preventing the occurrence of Parkinson’s disease.
Several studies have demonstrated that curcumin is beneficial in treating various gastrointestinal disorders.
- Inflammatory bowel disease is one of the gastrointestinal disorder which can be treated with turmeric. Inflammatory bowel disease involves a group of inflammatory conditions which occur when the body’s immune system attacks the parts of the digestive system. Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis are the two main types of inflammatory bowel disease. The anti-inflammatory property and therapeutic benefit of turmeric are known to play a role in treating inflammatory bowel disease.
- Dyspepsia, also known as indigestion is a problem that is common among people these days. A large number of people are living with this problem. It is known to few that turmeric is one of the effective home remedies of dyspepsia. The extracts of turmeric are known to protect the gastric mucosal layer. There are other mechanisms as well that prevents the problem of indigestion in people.
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disorder which is characterized by the high blood sugar level in the body. Hyperglycemia is the characteristic feature of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes is a serious disorder and it is associated with multiple complications. Diabetes mellitus is accompanied by symptoms like increased thirst, frequent urination, and numbness in the hands and legs. Turmeric is an effective herb to lower sugar level and improve metabolism in the body. Curcumin is effective in reducing glycemia and hyperlipidemia. Diabetes mellitus is associated with many complications such as retinopathy, nephropathy, and certain skin disorders. Skin problems are common in people having diabetes mellitus and turmeric is one of the most effective natural things to keep the skin healthy. Turmeric can significantly reduce the risk of developing complications associated with this disease.