4 Yoga Poses To Improve Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is an endocrine disorder in which the thyroid glands do not produce enough thyroid hormone. It is essential to treat this disorder as it is correlated with many other health issues as well. Weight gain, tiredness, constipation etc. are some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
Yoga is considered one of the most effective natural way to improve health issues. It helps in fighting with disease and also increases the effectiveness of medicines. It promotes a balanced development of spiritual, mental and physical being. Yoga massages the organs strengthens the muscles and improves the functionality of the body organs. There are many yoga postures that can help you improve the condition of hypothyroidism and few of those postures as follows.
1. Setu Bandhasana ( Bridge Pose)
Setu Bandhasana is considered as an effective yoga posture to improve thyroid disorder. It helps in the proper secretion of thyroxine hormone. Thyroxine hormone is a hormone released by the thyroid glands and it is an important and essential hormone for the proper functioning of the body. Practicing this pose keeps your thyroid glands healthy. Apart from hypothyroidism, this posture is also beneficial for the digestion, back pain, asthma etc..Steps to do setu bandhasana includes:
- Lie down on your back, bend your knees and keep your feet and hips distant apart.
- Take your arms beside the body and keep your palms facing downwards.
- Inhale, and lift your lower, middle and upper back off the floor.
- Now touch the chest to the chin without bringing your chin down and support your body using shoulders, arms, and legs.
- Keep breathing normally and stay in this position for the next 30 seconds.
Sarvangasana is considered as one of the best yoga poses for the hypothyroidism. It improves the circulation of blood flow around the neck and during such poses thyroid glands are thoroughly massaged. It allows the blood to flow faster than the normal and this blood helps to nourish the thyroid gland. Steps to practice this pose are:
- Lie down on your back and raise your legs upwards and take it to 90 degree angle
- Raise your buttocks and bring your legs towards the head
- Support your body with the hands and raise your legs, abdomen, and chest to make a straight line
- Bring your chest towards the chin without bringing your chin down
- Keep your body straight, feet joined together and stretch your feet upwards
- Breathe normally and try to maintain the pose for the next 30 seconds.
3. Bhujangasana ( Cobra Pose)
Bhujangasana is one of those few yoga postures that provide benefits to the entire body and it is an effective posture for the thyroid as well. It provides stretching to the thyroid glands and reduces the symptoms of thyroid disease. This is achieved by improving the general health and improving the functions of the glands. Bhujangasana can be done by doing following steps:
- Lie down on your stomach, keeping the feet together and pressing the top of the feet against the floor. Keep your elbows near the body.
- Take a deep breath and lift your head, chest, and abdomen. Do not lift your navel, keep it touching the floor.
- Take a support of your hands and pull your torso back, off the floor.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and make sure that your feet are still together.
- Stay in this pose for some seconds and increase your holding time as you progress.
4. Halasana (plow pose)
Halasana is another yoga posture that helps in balancing the functions of thyroid glands and is often practiced by people to improve the thyroid disorder. This pose boosts the energy level and helps in fighting fatigue that is highly associated with hypothyroidism. Apart from hypothyroidism, it is also beneficial for health issues such as diabetes, indigestion, weight loss etc.. All these health problems are directly or indirectly associated with hypothyroidism. Steps to practice this yoga posture are:
- Lie on your back, keeping the palms facing downwards.
- Inhale and lift your feet off the floor, making an angle of 90 degrees.
- Raise your waist and leg and allow your leg to make an angle of 180 degrees over the head until your toes touch the floor.
- Try to hold this pose at leads for few seconds.
These are four yoga best postures that can help you improve the thyroid disorder. There are many other other postures as well for hypothyroidism such as fish pose, camel pose, bow pose etc.. Share it with your family and friends and also share your opinion in the comment section below.